So I am blogging much earlier than what I normally do. It is about 9:30am here and I am bored. I know you are probably thinking wow only 9:30 in the morning and she is bored I would have a ton of stuff to do. Well I did a good job yesterday actually keeping up with my kitchen and dishes, and my hubby unloaded the dishwasher for me already so my normal morning routine is a little messed up. Normally I clean the kitchen about this time but that is done. I have picked up the Living room already but I am sure my wonderful children will destroy it again through out the day. My coffee or my pill has yet to really kick in so my "want" to find anything else to do is not there.
I had to call Westar (the electric company) today cause we were scheduled to get shut off tomorrow and I had to beg them to let me pay them on Friday (I know probably TMI and I am sure my husband loves the fact I am sharing this info). Living on one income is hard sometimes but I totally love the fact I get to spend time with my girls and watch them grow and help them learn. I just need to remember we are on a tight budget and every little thing causes us to get off the budget and cause it to snowball on us. The last 5 days I am trying to eat healthy and not ruin my diet but there is only so much you can do with very little money. My budget likes boxed food and processed junk. Why? Because it is CHEAP. Why is it when I visit the produce department and pick up very little produce (and even buying stuff "in season") I double my grocery bill? I am usually pretty good about saving a ton of money when I do the shopping but there is only so much you can save. My wonderful Sister in-law, Mandi taught me to make a "menu". Not like on Monday you eat this and Tuesday you eat this type of menu, but make a list of foods/meals your family is going to eat through out the week or weeks. And then make your grocery list based on your menu. I do this with adding a few extra steps (pretty sure she does these also), I make my menu based on what I can find on sale and what I can find coupons for. But once again a lot of coupons are for processed junk to make it even cheaper. No wonder America is so over weight. Matt and I thought about growing our own garden this year to be able to have a lot of those veggies for basically free. But we were late getting that started and I have only recently planted jalapenos. So maybe next year we can work on doing that. I tried to grow an herb garden but as I stated in my previous blog I kill plant so my herbs did not make it. So this year I will stick with whatever I can find that some how fits into my budget. This is the part of eating healthier and dieting that has always discouraged me in the past. I am trying to get passed it this time by dealing with the fact we have the type of food we have cause we are on a budget and I can eat smaller portions. Yesterday I ate unhealthy in my opinion, where my over all foods say were not too unhealthy i just ate to little calories. My doctor mentioned to me that eating to little is almost like eating to much. It is a fine line on how many calories you should eat in one day. Yesterday I was going to try to eat some peanut butter toast after my work out but never did, so my calories yesterday were not even 900. Matter of fact I have not had a day yet where I have hit my 1200 calories. So Today I am going to try to get a little closer to the 1200 calories. Ok I guess I am done with my rant right now...LOL. I will still post a blog tonight about the overall day. Please comment if you have suggestions on healthier foods that are CHEAP! Thanks!
Also if someone can tell me if there is a way to see if someone has posted a comment from my dashboard? I was about edit a post and realized I had comments! This whole time I had no idea I had any comments...LOL
ReplyDeleteJen you are doing great! I enjoy reading your blog and I may just have to start one too. Brandon says "no" to the blog idea, but I think it would be neat to look back on it. Continue the good job!! :)
ReplyDeleteJen I don't know really about healthier foods that are cheap except to shop around and buy frozen veggies which can go on sale for a ton cheaper than fresh and are much healthier than canned...coupons work too but something that's really been great for me are frugal living sites. If you can find someone who has a site that is local - oh my gosh, they will like spell out how to get $30.00 worth of stuff at Target for only $4.00 and they're full of tips and tricks...that could definitely help free up some money for fresh veggies!
ReplyDeleteHi Jen,
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time visiting your site. I understand your frustration. We are a single income family as well and have 3 boys 6, almsot 4 and 11months. I totally get the struggle that eating well and cheap do not fit in the same sentence. And the power being turned off...yup that happened to us yesterday.
But, just keep taking one step at a time. Keep moving forward, and we will get to where we want to be.
Have a good day :)