Hello everyone! So today was an adventure in my working out. Today was going to be day 2 of my C25K program and when I went out doors to walk/run I was rudely waken up by the fact that running on pavement is MUCH different then on the treadmill. I struggled very much. Actually I only did the 1 mile loop around my neighborhood instead of my full 20 min it was 15 min. My fastest mile though. LOL. I was getting bad side cramps but also my shins were hurting really bad. With every step when I ran I just had a sharp pain shoot up the front of my leg. I know this can't be normal. It wasn't like I am sore and not in shape pain it was a little more. So I am going to start paying attention to how I run. What part of my foot do I use the most and try to go from there. I was really frustrated after tonights work out but I have confidence that i can push through this and be the runner I want to be. I can't expect for this to happen over night I just assumed it would be a little easier...LOL. I had no problem on the tread mill but the race for the cure in September is not on a treadmill. So from here on out most my training will be out doors. I will be focusing on training for the race for the cure. Not that I am racing just at least be able to run some of it.
Other then all of that I really don't have much of an update for the day.You all have a wonderful night.
This used to happen to me all the time and is actually very common among runners. Especially beginning runners. You need to stretch. What you need to do is some kind of warm up (warm up your muscles). knee raises, jumping jacks, kicks, squats...whatever works. Then stretch. Then run. If I EVER skip doing this, I get the shin splints again. A prolonged injury could happen if you naturally run not centered. I don't and only knew that because I did a test with the Nike people at a race once. They video you running on a treadmill for like 30 seconds so they can see your natural form. I learned from this that I need a stability shoe to keep my legs from bending in. So, that could be part of the problem, but most likely, you need to stretch. That's an easy fix. See if that works first. (Free and easy) :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, I will try that! I did a 5 min walk warm up first...But I did not stretch. I will try that tomorrow. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHey Jen,
ReplyDeleteI recently took my C25K from the treadmill to the streets as well. It is DEFINITELY harder to do the run outdoors.
When running on the treadmill you might have the comfort of air conditionning, a nice flat surface and even a bit of cushioning. Outside, you get to deal with heat, humidity, little hills and rolls....don't feel bad! I think you'll be a better runner for it.
I have to agree that stretching is so important. My friend recently started encouraging me to stretch and it has made all the difference. ;)
Rae
xo